Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Higher, Older, Smarter

My nephew took me to the symphony the other day. Most of the people in the audience seemed to be older people. I asked my nephew why he thought that was the case. He replied that this music is "high-brow" and that's why there were so many older people there.

His answer revealed to me a latent faith in individual progress. He must believe that as we get older we get smarter. Having just reached adulthood, he has so far in his life experienced that older people seemed to know more than he did. From this it could be inferred that the music to which they listen must be of the calibre that requires higher intelligence to appreciate.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that we peak fairly early and don't continue to get smarter but that we begin to degenerate soon after peaking. It's better that he respects his elders.

No comments: