Saturday, November 10, 2007

No Country For Old Men

I first saw the Coen Brothers film Blood Simple (1984) at the Broadway in Hamilton and I was a little puzzled at first. It was very different than most of the movies I had seen up to then and it started my appreciation for art films. Here was a movie that was glacially paced with sparse dialogue and yet it held your attention for nearly two hours. I liked it the first time I saw it but I liked it more the second time I saw it.

This has now become a pattern for me with their films. I remember thinking Fargo was pretty good but subsequent viewings made me believe it was great. One just doesn't absorb all of the detail the first time around. They have an unusual sense of humour that's brought out in the pacing and the eccentric folksy dialogue of their movies. I remember being disappointed by The Big Lebowski the first time I saw it, thinking that it was too slick and silly but it has gotten funnier each time I've watched it. I now consider it one of the funniest movies ever made.

I just watched No Country for Old Men and I'm assuming that the same thing will happen again. I liked the movie but I look forward to loving it the second time around.

No comments: